FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM

fdk and www.roastietoastie.com

smile 100% A LITTLE BIT GREENER THAN IT WAS BEFORE smile

You are not connected. Please login or register

shock or susspension

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1mad shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 3:19 pm

alibabs

my beetle has been lowered drivers wheel rubs on arch is it right it can be adjusted or is it pos it could be a shocker have been told that the susspension can be undone and then levelled and done back up. dont ask what its all running on cos dont no. cant put pics up cos dont no how so realy this could be a waste of time a.ha ha anyway also i have paint work bubbling and peeling the car was totally rebuilt in 96 and is solid cant afford a respray and stuff so have thought bout rat look to stop it spreading but if i rub it all down whats best to protect the bare metal.

2mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:24 pm

DICKIE

Firstly it could be your torsion leaves have sagged at the front from years of driving..
Fronts cant be taken apart and adjusted either side,when you set the height,it sets both sides equally.

It could also be the backend is set at different heights (which is very common) which will make the front look lob sided.
Lastly it could be if you have had a replacement wing at the front they new non nos ones come in all shapes and sizes and could dip down lower than the other side.

Depends what you wanna do with the paint..
Cant you find out the colour your car is and buy a rattle can...
If not rub it down,treat it with some jenolite or something similar,and use some matt laquer on it.

GARDEN GATE THIEF

3mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:37 pm

alibabs

DICKIE wrote:Firstly it could be your torsion leaves have sagged at the front from years of driving..
Fronts cant be taken apart and adjusted either side,when you set the height,it sets both sides equally.

It could also be the backend is set at different heights (which is very common) which will make the front look lob sided.
Lastly it could be if you have had a replacement wing at the front they new non nos ones come in all shapes and sizes and could dip down lower than the other side.

Depends what you wanna do with the paint..
Cant you find out the colour your car is and buy a rattle can...
If not rub it down,treat it with some jenolite or something similar,and use some matt laquer on it.
pretty sure its the front susspension i thought you could adjust them seperatly ill have to get someone to have a look just needed an idea . colour is porsche guards red surely this will come in 3million different shades and where the wheel has rubbed paint is flakeing like snake skin where can i getjenolite from sounds like a new drug and how much

4mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:46 pm

Toastie

modmin
if its just one side i would ges its the leaves . mite be as easy to get an ajustabale beam and chuck it in . spect you could get one for £50 then you can go up and down till you happy with it . and if yours is any good you could sell it on after . cors you would want the new one to have the leaves in it or get some new ones .

also the job is easy . im shit and was well worried about doing it but it was no prob smile

CARRY VAN , MOBY X7 , OCTAVIA TDi  smile

NO BULLETS

& I DON’T DANCE TO DIDO DUDE !!

http://www.choppedornot.com/

5mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:48 pm

DICKIE

You defo cant adjust the front separately,its just aint possible..each side is attatched to a set of leaves,one side sits the same height as the other.
I would say it could be different shaped wings at the front or even a twisted frame head..

Jenolite you can get for about 6/7 quid from Halfrauds

GARDEN GATE THIEF

6mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:50 pm

DICKIE

TOASTIE wrote:if its just one side i would ges its the leaves . mite be as easy to get an ajustabale beam and chuck it in . spect you could get one for £50 then you can go up and down till you happy with it . and if yours is any good you could sell it on after . cors you would want the new one to have the leaves in it or get some new ones .

also the job is easy . im shit and was well worried about doing it but it was no prob smile
Firstly i would take everything of the ends off the leaves and check to see if any are broken..

GARDEN GATE THIEF

7mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 4:58 pm

alibabs

DICKIE wrote:You defo cant adjust the front separately,its just aint possible..each side is attatched to a set of leaves,one side sits the same height as the other.
I would say it could be different shaped wings at the front or even a twisted frame head..

Jenolite you can get for about 6/7 quid from Halfrauds
ill have a look out for adjustable beams then if not ill just bend the arch ha ha .twisted frame head dont sound good. is there anyone on here who would have a quik look for us for the price of a pint .and could i do the job off a couple of trolly jacks

8mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 5:07 pm

Toastie

modmin
baz oly t is prob you best bet to have a look under it . im sure he'l be along soon ,. duno how much a set of leaves are but if there not to bad it mite be worth banging some in . i got my ajustable beam for £20 then spent 40 welding it . iv got my old one here thats fairly good for £40 you could maybe buy that and get the adjusters put in . i dont know how much that would cost though . thats another one for baz

NO BULLETS

9mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 5:25 pm

alibabs

TOASTIE wrote:baz oly t is prob you best bet to have a look under it . im sure he'l be along soon ,. duno how much a set of leaves are but if there not to bad it mite be worth banging some in . i got my ajustable beam for £20 then spent 40 welding it . iv got my old one here thats fairly good for £40 you could maybe buy that and get the adjusters put in . i dont know how much that would cost though . thats another one for baz
nice one ill give him a shout is he in nam. if it does need doing defo interestead in yours fucking hate shopping bout for stuff

10mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 5:40 pm

Toastie

modmin
ye he's in town . i would ges he will tell you to pop down to him . il give him a text and get him to pop here and you can go from there smile

NO BULLETS

11mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 5:44 pm

alibabs

TOASTIE wrote:ye he's in town . i would ges he will tell you to pop down to him . il give him a text and get him to pop here and you can go from there smile
shit hot nice one bud cheers

12mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 6:42 pm

DICKIE

TOASTIE wrote:baz oly t is prob you best bet to have a look under it . im sure he'l be along soon ,. duno how much a set of leaves are but if there not to bad it mite be worth banging some in . i got my ajustable beam for £20 then spent 40 welding it . iv got my old one here thats fairly good for £40 you could maybe buy that and get the adjusters put in . i dont know how much that would cost though . thats another one for baz
It would be easier to put adjusters in his own beam toast surely??
Adjusters for bugs are about 20/30 quid
Leaves are about 80 quid..
I would check the wings first before you start taking stuff apart

GARDEN GATE THIEF

13mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 6:47 pm

Toastie

modmin
cor leaves are a bit steep aint they .

was only thinking of another beam as that how i liked to do it ., get the new beam ready then bang it in . rather than it being sat up well its done . either way works though dont it smile

NO BULLETS

14mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 6:51 pm

DICKIE

A new set of springs for a bug are about 50 quid and you will need two lots

GARDEN GATE THIEF

15mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 7:03 pm

alibabs

cheers boys just spoke to oily gonna give us a ring in the week have a look for us. most helpfull cos to be fare i aint got a fucking clue

16mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 7:05 pm

Toastie

modmin
nice one smile . fdk is ace yet again smile

NO BULLETS

17mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 7:14 pm

alibabs

fantastico now im going to have small drink

18mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 8:07 pm

Space Monkey

DICKIE wrote:

Im with you on this one Dickie!
In my experience 99% of lowered dubs on replacement wings seem to rub on one side on the front unless its been narrowed or raised so as not to rub!Ive found its usually the drivers side!
Its something to do with the shite pattern wings,you could try what ive done in the past...cutting off the inner lip or squeezing it flat where it rubs,just be careful of the paint though!

19mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 8:27 pm

alibabs

Space Monkey wrote:
DICKIE wrote:

Im with you on this one Dickie!
In my experience 99% of lowered dubs on replacement wings seem to rub on one side on the front unless its been narrowed or raised so as not to rub!Ive found its usually the drivers side!
Its something to do with the shite pattern wings,you could try what ive done in the past...cutting off the inner lip or squeezing it flat where it rubs,just be careful of the paint though!
your right mate it is drivers side thought bout cutting wing or sqashing it but thought it might cut in to tyre to much there is considerable differance between left and right sides thers nice even gap all round wheel on left side and not so on right as for paint all been rubbed away

20mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 8:50 pm

Space Monkey

alibabs wrote:your right mate it is drivers side thought bout cutting wing or sqashing it but thought it might cut in to tyre to much there is considerable differance between left and right sides thers nice even gap all round wheel on left side and not so on right as for paint all been rubbed away

Id go for squashing the lip then!or if you know somebody with an arch roller...that may work as well. Just out of interest what size tyres are you running on the front?

21mad Re: shock or susspension on 3/1/2010, 9:01 pm

alibabs

just had a look mate i have no inner lip the wing is just straight metal completely. Tyres are185 55 r15

22mad Re: shock or susspension on 4/1/2010, 10:13 pm

Space Monkey

alibabs wrote:just had a look mate i have no inner lip the wing is just straight metal completely. Tyres are185 55 r15

So whoever owned the car previously had the same problem by the sounds of it,you could possibly try a different tyre size then maybe 195/50's or smart car tyres or slightly elongate the wing mounting holes and pull the wing up a touch!
Hope that helps.

23mad Re: shock or susspension on 4/1/2010, 10:24 pm

alibabs

Space Monkey wrote:
alibabs wrote:just had a look mate i have no inner lip the wing is just straight metal completely. Tyres are185 55 r15

So whoever owned the car previously had the same problem by the sounds of it,you could possibly try a different tyre size then maybe 195/50's or smart car tyres or slightly elongate the wing mounting holes and pull the wing up a touch!
Hope that helps.
ye ill have a look see if it is the susspension if all ok then thats defo my next option cheers my good man

24mad Re: shock or susspension on 4/1/2010, 10:58 pm

Space Monkey

alibabs wrote:ye ill have a look see if it is the susspension if all ok then thats defo my next option cheers my good man

No worries,hope you get it sorted,You could also try stiffer front shocks if you dont mind giving up a bit of ride quality!

25mad Re: shock or susspension on 16/1/2010, 7:48 pm

Toastie

modmin
just seen this . fort it mite help
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=613638

NO BULLETS

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next