FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM

fdk and www.roastietoastie.com

smile 100% A LITTLE BIT GREENER THAN IT WAS BEFORE smile

You are not connected. Please login or register

Beetle wandering in high wind (or even mild wind)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

EGG

I spoke to a couple of you at the meet about the handling of my bug in windy weather, and said how it likes to wander across the road.
Just been under the bug for the first time this year and the steering damper is covered in fluid, would this be a cause??
Also notices all the rubber aren't looking too healthy.
Will have to get these jobs done, but will they improve the handling a lot?
Got to sort the shock absorders too as theres a lot of bounce in the front end.

Mario

EGG wrote:I spoke to a couple of you at the meet about the handling of my bug in windy weather, and said how it likes to wander across the road.
Just been under the bug for the first time this year and the steering damper is covered in fluid, would this be a cause??
Also notices all the rubber aren't looking too healthy.
Will have to get these jobs done, but will they improve the handling a lot?
Got to sort the shock absorders too as theres a lot of bounce in the front end.

All of those ^^^ wont help matey...............whats the play like in your steering wheel itself???

EGG

Not bad at all, virtually no backlash (don't think thats the right term but ha ho) before the wheel moves. What allowance should there be??

dicky mint

if the bushes are worn that wont help the situation, i would check for play in the steering box too.
as mario says they all could be playing a part in the wandering type fingummyjig.

Mario

EGG wrote:Not bad at all, virtually no backlash (don't think thats the right term but ha ho) before the wheel moves. What allowance should there be??

from memory, and remember im old, i think it is about ONE inch.....as in the road wheels should move before your steering wheel has hit the one inch point

dicky mint

cut the fibre out of your diet, therefore reducing wind to a minimum.

job done

EGG

Mario wrote:
EGG wrote:Not bad at all, virtually no backlash (don't think thats the right term but ha ho) before the wheel moves. What allowance should there be??

from memory, and remember im old, i think it is about ONE inch.....as in the road wheels should move before your steering wheel has hit the one inch point

Cheers, i'll have a look

EGG

dicky mint wrote:cut the fibre out of your diet, therefore reducing wind to a minimum.

job done

It's the beers fault, but I ain't gonna cut that out my diet

dicky mint

EGG wrote:
It's the beers fault, but I ain't gonna cut that out my diet

too right

EGG

Fitted the steering damper piece of piss, gotta take on the MacPhersons next.
Only one question before I take it apart, does anyone know if the shock absorber fitting on the top are the same as any other bug???
Getting the shocks tomorrow from GSF (failed to get them for me today), they supply a top fitting kit, is this the same for all bugs????
I know that most of you have beams but worth a try.

Mario

EGG wrote:Fitted the steering damper piece of piss, gotta take on the MacPhersons next.
Only one question before I take it apart, does anyone know if the shock absorber fitting on the top are the same as any other bug???
Getting the shocks tomorrow from GSF (failed to get them for me today), they supply a top fitting kit, is this the same for all bugs????
I know that most of you have beams but worth a try.

Ball joint bugs and king and link pin shocks are different ...........you just need the kit that suits your type

kermit

he has a Super Beetle since he said = macphersons.
he needs to redo all bushings as they are worn out.
in the future he should say he has a Super Beetle so people don't mention King pins,link pins or other than Strut/macpherson front suspension.

EGG

Wrong, changed both shock absorbers and steering damper as all fucked
Sorted months ago.

kermit

so you do not have a super beetle? if so then check your caster. you may need to add caster shims or = your rear spring plate bushings are shot and beetle and super beetle will dart same as if it is front suspension.

kermit

EGG wrote: gotta take on the MacPhersons next.

front struts on super beetle have cartriges not shock absorbers. so the answer is NO.
rear shocks are same for fat chick irs and super beetle irs.

i have never owned a super beetle ,but i did work on them while doing my vw dealership tech schooling.

EGG

Fuck me, just got like vizzy on here. I suppose I should bow to your superior knowledge. yes they are cartridges that fit in the strut, but they absorb shock don't they.

kermit

EGG wrote:Fuck me, just got like vizzy on here. I suppose I should bow to your superior knowledge. yes they are cartridges that fit in the strut, but they absorb shock don't they.

it is easier to answer questions when a person says"i have a ----- year beetle" instead of my ball joints are hitting my kingpins" since ball joint beams do not have king pins. i do not know how smart you are and am not saying i am smarter.
check rear springplate bushings as they will make you think problem is up front when it can be rear.

FDK ADMIN

Admin
calm down kids . kermit was only trying to help .

there's a place for rowing and that's vzi

Mario

Egg further to what i said oop there^^^^^^^^ ref....steering wheel movement before the wheels themselves move.......
Your bug will be ONE INCH of movement on the steering wheel.......................
older bugs (and buses/vans) like my oval is..............THREE blinking inches

found this out on monday when i mot'd my oval............i was well shocked when the fella told me........

kermit

my 65 bus- new tie rods,new drag link 1/2" movement before steering responds.. this is at outer edge of stock bus steering wheel.
iot was at 3" when i found the bus parked behind a house since 1987 and i found it june 2005. purchase price was $25

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum