FDK HOME
WELCOME TO THE FUN DUBBIN KRIMINALS FORUM.............COME ON IN AND SAY HELLO smile

PLEASE REGISTER TO ACCESS THE CHAT FORUM

fdk and www.roastietoastie.com

smile 100% A LITTLE BIT GREENER THAN IT WAS BEFORE smile

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big engine change?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:06 pm

negawskloV

Last edited by negawskloV on 8/3/2012, 8:29 am; edited 4 times in total

27 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:09 pm

negawskloV

bugjammin wrote:Shit!!!!!! 15k !!! I was saying 3k with the expectancy to be more like 5k in the end now I'm thinking it may be another year but I will keep hopeful.
I don't use as a daily it's more a weekend /nice weather motor. Will take this all into consideration an going to write a list of what I need/ want and see where I am at.
Will keep posted but all help much appreciated fellas

Dude, my recommendation... as per my post above, save your money & buy a 2nd hand motor wink

28 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:13 pm

DICKIE

I dont think you want to be running into rebuilt gearbox territory to be fair,for what your after a nicely built 1918 0r 2007 will be plenty of extra horsepower for the bug..
A 2007cc will,depending on a few variants will be about the 110bhp mark,twice what you have now nearly..
Mario is into big fuck off,scary to drive territory with his wink
Like i said before,its not just big cc'c..the cam and carbs will also determine wether it'll be a fast low down torquey motor or a fuck off fast screamer.

Dont get too carried away would be my advice and go for something thats going to double your bhp and you can have some fun with,rather than a motor thats gonna make you shit ya pants when you put your foot down and worry about at any tiny little noise.

GARDEN GATE THIEF

29 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:19 pm

bugjammin

Sounds good advice Don't want to sell yours do you dickie?! lol
I gonna sit down when I get in tonight and make a start on understanding all this data an see what I wants.

30 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:22 pm

negawskloV

negawskloV wrote:
bugjammin wrote:Shit!!!!!! 15k !!! I was saying 3k with the expectancy to be more like 5k in the end now I'm thinking it may be another year but I will keep hopeful.
I don't use as a daily it's more a weekend /nice weather motor. Will take this all into consideration an going to write a list of what I need/ want and see where I am at.

Dude, my recommendation... as per my post above, save your money & buy a 2nd hand motor wink

I assume this must have sold by now... if not it's a bargain (and local)

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=747975

vwaircooled59 wrote:JUST BOUGHT AN OVAL FOR IT'S MINT BODY ! TO STICK MY TURBO MOTOR IN SO HAVE THIS BEAST UP FOR GRABS AS A CRIMBO BARGAIN! IF IT DOES NOT SELL IT'S GOING IN THE WIFES GHIA!

Built by JMR three years ago, it's done approximately 5k since being built and is nice and tight, no end float, awesome compression (I did a comp test before starting for the first time just in case )

Spec is:-

Case Type 1 AB Case, line bored, 8mm Case Savers
Displacement 1914cc
Crank 69mm Counter weighted
Rods CB Super Race Rods 4340 5.4"
Rod Bolts ARP 8740
Pistons & Barrels 94mm with teflon buttons
Camshaft Engle 120
Cam Followers Scat Lightweight
Rockers Stock 1.1:1, Gene Berg Bolt up Shafts
Rocker covers vw clip on
Valve Springs Engle Duals
Heads Modified 040 40 x 35.5 Ported and polished by JMR
Tapper screws Swivel feet
Cylinder Head studs 8mm
Pushrods Berg 3/8"
Compression 7.6:1
Custom Speed Parts Bellcrank carb Linkage
Carburation 2 x 34ict webbers
Manifolds C B Performance
Oil Pump 26mm
Oil Cooler Stock doghouse
Coil Bosch Blue
Dizzy Bosch 009 with electronic ignition
Oil System Drilled and tapped for full flow with external cooler
Bosch leads and plugs
Merged header
Turbo back box
75 amp alt conversion (car had a massive stereo)
Case painted red
Includes all tin

Started first time when fuel reached carbs oil is clean, but if I were you I would change it out as a matter of a service and I would give it a tune

Now out of car, cam is broken so no pics sorry but just looks like an engine

Got car for a good price so can pass savings on I want £2100 as a crimbo bargain!

Motor in Swindon

vwaircooled59 wrote:Sorry folks after lots of let downs, it now resides in my wifes ghia and unless someone turns up at my door with the 2k I want, there is where it shall stay

Last edited by negawskloV on 5/3/2012, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

31 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:24 pm

DICKIE

bugjammin wrote:Sounds good advice Don't want to sell yours do you dickie?! lol
I gonna sit down when I get in tonight and make a start on understanding all this data an see what I wants.
lol This is what mine looks like at the moment..

GARDEN GATE THIEF

32 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:28 pm

bugjammin

lol I will wait to you re build it Very Happy
I expect that sold pretty quick on vzi mate will keep an eye out.

33 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:34 pm

paddy

Fuck me - what the hell has happened to the world ? carzzy

A decent 1776 or 1914 will make a beetle scary enough to drive and definitely show up plenty of things in acceleration terms. You don't need 200bhp in a beetle to be quicker off the lights than a 200bhp modern car.

A dead simple 1776 or 1914 would be more than quick enough for most normal people.

36 or 40 dells, stock heads with stainless (i.e. slim headed) valves, bit of porting on the exhaust ports to remove the tight corner, cheapo merged header, 110 engle, cheapo bugpack single valve springs, cheapo bolt together rocker shafts, cheapo swivel feet, maybe a cheap deep sump if you're flush.

None of this stuff needs to be expensive. Regarding clutches and gearboxes - a 1700lb kennedy will be fine with a stock disc. The stock gearbox will be OK too, and if it breaks - buy a secondhand one for a couple of hundred quid if you can't afford a gearbox like Marios :eek: . Running a clutch with a little slip will help save keep your gearbox together too.

34 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:46 pm

bugjammin

That's more like my attitude you make it sound within my 3-5k tops budget easy. For the mrs in favor of quicker engine but haven't told her ££'s yet.

35 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:49 pm

negawskloV

paddy wrote:Fuck me - what the hell has happened to the world ? carzzy

A decent 1776 or 1914 will make a beetle scary enough to drive and definitely show up plenty of things in acceleration terms. You don't need 200bhp in a beetle to be quicker off the lights than a 200bhp modern car.

A dead simple 1776 or 1914 would be more than quick enough for most normal people.

36 or 40 dells, stock heads with stainless (i.e. slim headed) valves, bit of porting on the exhaust ports to remove the tight corner, cheapo merged header, 110 engle, cheapo bugpack single valve springs, cheapo bolt together rocker shafts, cheapo swivel feet, maybe a cheap deep sump if you're flush.

None of this stuff needs to be expensive. Regarding clutches and gearboxes - a 1700lb kennedy will be fine with a stock disc. The stock gearbox will be OK too, and if it breaks - buy a secondhand one for a couple of hundred quid if you can't afford a gearbox like Marios :eek: . Running a clutch with a little slip will help save keep your gearbox together too.

Depends what your definition of expensive is but you still aren't gonna get a 1776cc or 1914cc turnkey built for £3k... £5k maybe but not with new parts

36 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 4:56 pm

negawskloV

bugjammin wrote: I expect that sold pretty quick on vzi mate will keep an eye out.
You aren't going to check? last he posted he was going to keep using it until someone offered to pay his asking price

37 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 5:05 pm

Mario

like ive said and a few other folk have mentioned.......FORGET what engine i am building....

use my engine as a guide on how to build one....

My engine spec/build/wants/needs etc have developed and modified over a period of time,as i have learnt more and re-searched even further......

I have my own personal and specific reasons of why i am doing what i am............if i fail,then so be it,how ever it will be MY fail and no one else's.....

so far my engine build has received good vibes n feedback and nothing but good wishes as i go along.Ive sacrificed LOTS to get to where i am and i aint even bolting anything together yet!!!!!

that engine Ben highligthed up there^^^^ would be ideal what you are looking for....

DONT get scared by what you read or hear......the ONLY way is to decide on what YOU want and then research,research,research............

i am waaaaaaaay to far into my build to stop (or even think of stopping) so i am going the whole hog.....big fuck off engine,gearbox to take it all,including drive shafts cv joints etc.....

Plenty of good engines come up on vzi for the budget you have and if you are a tight fisted old twat like me,then CASh in hand always wins wink

Good luck matey.........n most of all, keep smilin Very Happy

38 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 5:07 pm

Mario

negawskloV wrote:
negawskloV wrote:

I assume this must have sold by now... if not it's a bargain (and local)

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=747975

vwaircooled59 wrote:JUST BOUGHT AN OVAL FOR IT'S MINT BODY ! TO STICK MY TURBO MOTOR IN SO HAVE THIS BEAST UP FOR GRABS AS A CRIMBO BARGAIN! IF IT DOES NOT SELL IT'S GOING IN THE WIFES GHIA!

Built by JMR three years ago, it's done approximately 5k since being built and is nice and tight, no end float, awesome compression (I did a comp test before starting for the first time just in case )

Spec is:-

Case Type 1 AB Case, line bored, 8mm Case Savers
Displacement 1914cc
Crank 69mm Counter weighted
Rods CB Super Race Rods 4340 5.4"
Rod Bolts ARP 8740
Pistons & Barrels 94mm with teflon buttons
Camshaft Engle 120
Cam Followers Scat Lightweight
Rockers Stock 1.1:1, Gene Berg Bolt up Shafts
Rocker covers vw clip on
Valve Springs Engle Duals
Heads Modified 040 40 x 35.5 Ported and polished by JMR
Tapper screws Swivel feet
Cylinder Head studs 8mm
Pushrods Berg 3/8"
Compression 7.6:1
Custom Speed Parts Bellcrank carb Linkage
Carburation 2 x 34ict webbers
Manifolds C B Performance
Oil Pump 26mm
Oil Cooler Stock doghouse
Coil Bosch Blue
Dizzy Bosch 009 with electronic ignition
Oil System Drilled and tapped for full flow with external cooler
Bosch leads and plugs
Merged header
Turbo back box
75 amp alt conversion (car had a massive stereo)
Case painted red
Includes all tin

Started first time when fuel reached carbs oil is clean, but if I were you I would change it out as a matter of a service and I would give it a tune

Now out of car, cam is broken so no pics sorry but just looks like an engine

Got car for a good price so can pass savings on I want £2100 as a crimbo bargain!

Motor in Swindon

vwaircooled59 wrote:Sorry folks after lots of let downs, it now resides in my wifes ghia and unless someone turns up at my door with the 2k I want, there is where it shall stay

In fact,having re-read and digested that^^^^^^^ i would be knocking his fucking front door down with 2k in my pocket wink

39 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 5:11 pm

paddy

negawskloV wrote:

Depends what your definition of expensive is but you still aren't gonna get a 1776cc or 1914cc turnkey built for £3k... £5k maybe but not with new parts

Why does it have to be turnkey ? Plenty of the existing engine can be re-used if its OK.

40 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 5:16 pm

bugjammin

I was going turnkey as thought this would be easiest to swap and then I could sell mine the same to get a few quid back later on,

41 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 5:40 pm

paddy

bugjammin wrote:I was going turnkey as thought this would be easiest to swap and then I could sell mine the same to get a few quid back later on,

I wouldn't do it that way - but thats just me. Last engine I sold went for 80 quid about 3 years ago - that was a 1600 single port which was oily but ran OK. Complete engine needing a strip down and re-seal to make it oil tight. I sold it too cheap, but it was not much money back is the point I'm trying to make.

As regards swapping them being easier - if you have another vehicle then don't worry about it.

In your situation I would probably get Laurie Pettit to build it.

42 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 7:10 pm

bugjammin

Cheers paddy lots to consider. smile
I think most importantly now I need to decide exactly what I want and a good budget and stick to it. Or I'm going to spoil my idea of fun with the bug.

43 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 7:15 pm

oilyT

A bit off topic what speck box is john walklet going to put together for you Mario? smile

44 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 9:49 pm

Mario

oilyT wrote:A bit off topic what speck box is john walklet going to put together for you Mario? smile

this is only a discussion for now Baz, spec could change as i go on.....

Replace Fine tooth 3rd and 4th gears for course tooth
Super diff + extra side gears
HD side plate
Super spline stubbies (if I can get them)
Quaife (this replace Super diff and super splines)
Weddle mainshaft and chromolly 1st and 2nd gears

45 Re: Big engine change? on 5/3/2012, 10:06 pm

oilyT

Mario wrote:
oilyT wrote:A bit off topic what speck box is john walklet going to put together for you Mario? smile

HD side plate

That should hold up. smile the quaife and the mainshaft are the biggest chunk of that £££

46 Re: Big engine change? on 6/3/2012, 8:08 am

Mario

oilyT wrote:
Mario wrote:

HD side plate

That should hold up. smile the quaife and the mainshaft are the biggest chunk of that £££

you aint wrong mate,i nearly fell over when i read the breakdown on prices :eek: lol lol

i am well and truly committed to it all now Barry,so its down to saving hard and patience carzzy

47 Re: Big engine change? on 7/3/2012, 11:49 am

DICKIE

I think this is still for sale,real honest genuine bloke as well..
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=755170&highlight=fall+dave

GARDEN GATE THIEF

48 Re: Big engine change? on 7/3/2012, 7:14 pm

bugjammin

Cheers mate. smile My uncle has a 1641 in his garage out of his last bug I can have very cheap.he rang to say last night all could do with good overhaul an new tinware and accessories. he sold bug and his 64 he doing he wants to restore originally as poss. Now to think of how good I can make this engine an wether to do it myself. Very Happy

Thanks all will be back for advice when get engine hopefully next week!!!

49 Re: Big engine change? on 8/3/2012, 8:31 am

negawskloV

From what you've said, you're probably better off with a small motor tbh... good luck with it smile

50 Re: Big engine change? on 8/3/2012, 6:38 pm

bugjammin

Thanks mate. I kept thinking of budget after everyone said how much these big engines cost, I was thinking so hard completely forgot bout my uncle owning a bug and bay.
Cheers all!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum